Initialization and Boundary Conditions
- 12-km NWS NAM model for first guess and boundary conditions. There is a 6 hour offset (eg. the 00Z RHS run is initialized with the 18Z NAM.
- Dynamic intialization using FDAA observation nudging for the 3-h peroid ending at the desired model initialization time.
- Incorporates surface observations from MADIS, including METAR and mesonet observations. Also incorporates a separate quality control system to reject bad observations before incorporating them into the FDAA. Typically there are 450-500 observations incorporated over time and space in a 6-h grid.
- Binning of QPF into 6-hourly segments within the model code.
- Custom post-processing into GRIB2, graphics, and NetCDFfiles, including basin averaging.
- Supercooled Liquid Water (SLW) and Ice Crystal Concentrations (ICC) totals and maximums computed explicitly
- Cloud Seeding Index- defined as SLW/ICC- is intended to provide a picture of the amount of water available to naturally grow ice.
- Capitalizing on these settings allows are team to gather more information about the most efficient places and times to begin cloud seeding.
recent 2015 upgrades
- Upgrade model to use LES mode
- Upgraded model graphics
- Add radiometer to provide input data data stream for the forecast
- Add LAPS analysis for intial conditions (uses GOES satellite image channels, QC'ed 3D radar mosiacs, GOES cloud-drift winds with the addition to RAOBS, and surface data